Sunday, September 20, 2009

Life is Good.


Hello Friends,



Time for some news about life in Paris, or rather for an introduction on life in Paris, since I haven't actually written about it yet.



Well, I arrived just about a week ago, jet-lagged and tired as heck, after... deep breath...: my brother's wedding in Ottawa, a 100 km Pilgrimage in Quebec, a 17 hour bus ride from Ottawa to DC, Mary's wedding, and a 13 hour flight from DC to Dublin, and then finally to Paris. Fewf!!! I hoep that just reading that made you tired. Though I must say that it was a pretty awesome way to leave. I was really glad to be able to say good-bye to pretty much everyone i know.



I was also so grateful that the mother of the family I'm renting my apartment from picked me up from the air-port upon my arrival, because I had two huge bags, a back-pack full of paints and brushes, a lap-top, and one of my huge purses, and there's no way i would have made it to my new place by train.




I pay for my apartment, by watching this family's kids for a few hours a week, which i thoroughly enjoy, because they're the sweetest little children I've ever met; I just love them! the other day one of them said to me, "Je t'aime de tout mon coeur!" :) aw... could any other child be so sweet? ...not that she doesn't have her moments of imperfection, but still, these kids are awesome!



Within the first few hours of being here, the mom brought me to set up my cell phone plan so I could get started on finding a few baby-sitting jobs to make some extra cash. By Thursday i had met 8 mom's and arranged for 2 english classes and about 30 hours a week of regular baby-sitting work, all within walking or trotinette(scooter) distance of where I live. sweet! Yes, i do sometimes use a little scooter, the kind for kids, to get around. It looks really funny, but it's perfectly normal here to see men in suits and mothers with a bag or two of groceries buzz by you on their scooters. They really are quite practical, and can cut your travel time in half.



I've been having a somewhat dificult time finding my way around the zig-zaggy streets of Parisl it's not like at home. Intersections with 6 streets coming to a round-about and changing names are the worst!!! but I'll be a pro in no time i'm sure. plus I always have my trusty map to refer to whenever necessary, but I feel like such a fanny-pack tourist when I use it. oh well, it's good for my humility I supose.



I've been hit on twice by creepy frenchmen, and almost hit by pigeon stuff once... thankfully though, both birds and beasts have been unsuccessful in their endeavours. ;)



Today I took the Metro to Versaille to attend Sunday Mass at Fr. LeRoux's FSSP parish. I was so impressed with the choir! They sang the most beautiful 'Panis Angelicus'; I have to get a recording... and the sheet-music as well. I'll probably join the choir within a couple of weeks.



Sketching!!! what sketching? All I've done so far is the one I posted the other day and this little one which i started this evening. There's more to come, i promisse! Now that i have my schedule all worked out, i'll have time to dedicate to my art...
In Corde Jesu,
Sandieness
:::::::::::::::::

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'd rather get hit on by bird shit than by creepy frenchmen, yuk! Sounds like you're doing well Sandie. Miss you! Luv and Hugs!

God bless,

Julie

...